Ernest Naesgaard, P.Eng., is a senior geotechnical engineer and principal of Naesgaard-Amini Geotechnical Ltd. with over 35 years’ experience in subsurface site investigation and geotechnical design work. He has carried out foundation and site preparation designs for a wide variety of structures in varying soil types including: highrise developments, industrial factories, warehouses, water-edge structures, residential subdivisions, excavation shoring, tanks, dams, and major bridges. He has conducted analyses for liquefaction assessment; consequences of liquefaction; soil dynamics; soil-structure interaction; slope stability; pile driving; lateral pile; and settlement assessment. Dr. Naesgaard has carried out complex dynamic soil-structure numerical analyses for several major projects.
In addition to geotechnical design work, Dr. Naesgaard has also kept abreast of latest developments in earthquake engineering. His work includes discovery and mapping of paleoseismic sand dykes that are important prehistoric evidence of a past major earthquake and liquefaction in the Fraser Delta and research on the seismic behaviour of pile foundations in liquefied ground (through grant from B.C. Science Council), and development of numerical models for analyzing soil structures susceptible to soil liquefaction and flow.
Dr. Naesgaard combines the education and experience that make him a valued resource in the design, analysis and site preparation of major geotechnical and civil engineering projects.
- 2011 Ph.D.,Civil Engineering (Geotechnical), University of British Columbia
- 1988 M.Eng., Civil Engineering (Geotechnical), University of British Columbia
- 1973 B.A.Sc., Geological Engineering, University of British Columbia
Awards & Scholarships
- 2004 Canadian Society of Civil Engineering Casimir Gzowski Medal for best paper in Civil Engineering (co-recipient)
- 2004 Canadian Council of Professional Engineers Manulife Financial Scholarship for practicing Professional Engineers to further their education.
- 2003 to 2005 Ministry of Transportation – UBC Partnership scholarship
- 2003 Vancouver Geotechnical Society Award and Life membership
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (since 1976)
- Association of Professional Engineers, Washington State
- APEGBC Task Force for geotechnical engineering services for building projects
- Canadian Geotechnical Society (past BC Region Director)
- 10th Annual Vancouver Geotechnical Society June 1996 Symposium (Chairman)
- Vancouver Geotechnical Society (past secretary, and chairman)
- Taskforce on Earthquake Design in Fraser Delta (1991 & 2004/7)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- 2006 Canadian Geotechnical Society Conf. – Technical Committee & short course organization.
- 2007/2008 Taskforce on Seismic Slope Stability for Buildings in British Columbia – APEGBC.
- 2008 Taskforce for Earthquake Design of Retaining Walls – Structural Engineers Association of B.C.
- TC4: Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering Committee, ISSMGE – past member
Teaching / Seminars
- 1990-present University of British Columbia Civil 411 Case Histories’ Class (invited lecturer)
- 2003/4 Sessional Lecturer UBC Civil 411 (Geotechnical Case Histories)
- 2004/5 Sessional Lecturer UBC Civil 410 (Foundation design)
- 2005 Lecture for VSEGS ‘Geotechnical Aspects of Foundations’.